Goal Setting at Work: Plan for Success and Reach Your Goals
What you'll learn
- Explore why goal setting at work is important and worth your time
- Define common goal setting methods like MBO, OKR, BHAG, and SMART
- Master the SMART goal setting framework
- Write out your current top 3-5 goals at work while incorporating SMART language
- Create a realistic plan to meet your newly set goals, and hold yourself accountable
- Communicate effectively about your goals with your manager and team
- Use a goal setting template to capture the full scope of your current and future goals
- You don’t need any special equipment for this course, just a PC or Mac to watch the videos and a pen to take notes.
- The desire to set concrete, achievable, work-related goals and map out a plan to reach them.
NASBA CPE accredited course
National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA)
NASBA CPE credits: 1.8
Recommended NASBA field of study: Personal Development
Program level: Basic
To earn NASBA CPE credits:
- Complete all videos
- Score 70% or higher on final exam
Glossary: Find PDF attached to the first lecture of this course.
Completion to obtain CPE should be accomplished a year after purchase date.
If you undertake this course for NASBA CPE credits, please complete the Self Study Course Evaluation.
Do you need to learn how to set goals--fast? Has your manager asked you if your goals are SMART? If you want to measure and evaluate your progress and make an impact, you are in the right place!
Setting goals seems like it should be one of the easier things to do at work. You are good at your job, so writing down thoughts on what you will tackle in the next 3-6 months should come naturally, right? Too often we set goals that are vague, undefined ideas about what we want to accomplish at work. Without concrete steps to achieve those goals, and without setting measurable metrics, it can be impossible to know if you’ve reached them.
In this course, you will:
Explore why goal setting is important and why it’s worth your time
Bust myths about goal setting
Figure out what MBO, OKR, BHAG, and SMART stand for--and why everyone talks about them
Discover the fundamentals of goal setting
Master the SMART goal setting framework
Identify your current top 3-5 goals at work and make them SMART
Create a realistic plan to meet your newly set goals
Using a combination of worksheets, downloadable PDFs, checklists, and other resources to help you through this process, by the end of this course, you’ll have a manageable list of goals and steps to take to reach them.
As an executive coach, I work with executives and their teams to better understand what they are responsible for and how to hold each other accountable. I’ve seen first hand the destruction that can be wrought when goals are not concrete, not written down or discussed so that everyone is on the same page and working toward the same objectives. Teams need commonly shared information about what to do, who is taking on each step, and when each step needs to be completed. Setting goals, and motivating others to accomplish them, is not an innate skill. It’s one that can be developed, and in this course, that’s exactly what we’re going to do.
Without the ability to set real, actionable goals for yourself and how to measure them and judge whether or not you’re reaching them, you’ll fall short every time. Don’t allow that to happen.
So, if you’re ready to work out exactly how to get from where you are now to where you want to be at work, then sign up for this course and let’s get started!
CPE (Continuing Professional Education)
Define what a goal is.
Describe characteristics of goals.
Recognize the elements of a SMART goal and the benefits of using SMART goals.
Determine the benefits and drawbacks of stretch goals.
List reasons why goals may not work.
Explain the importance of communicating your goals.
Describe the key components of a goal setting action plan.
State what subgoals are and why they are helpful.
For more information regarding administrative policies, please contact our support using the Help and Support link at the bottom of this page.
Who this course is for:
- Employees who are setting work goals for the first time
- Employees who have not found a goal setting framework that they can stick to, and who want a better way to track and measure their progress
- New or existing managers who need to set goals for themselves AND a team in order to hold themselves and team members accountable
- This course is NOT for employees or managers who have been successfully setting goals for an extensive amount of time, or already have a framework that works for them.
I am an executive coach who specializes in helping leaders decide what to say and how to say it. I coach executives to speak with authority and authenticity, whether they are communicating to employees, the board, or customers. In other words, I make it easier to be the boss.
My clients range from founders to executives at Fortune 500 companies. Pre-pandmic, I traveled about 100K miles a year to work with teams around the world. Now I coach leaders 1:1 and faciltiate offsites over Zoom.
My work has been featured in The Economist, Forbes, Women's Health, BBC, WSJ, Marketplace Radio, Glassdoor, Fast Company, HR Magazine, Glassdoor, The Rotarian, SHRM, and others.
I love helping my clients learn about EQ and goal setting, and I am excited to share best practices and tangible strategies with my Udemy students.